Monday, March 5, 2007

Role of a campus newspaper

Finally the first issue is out, I hope it meets good reviews and praise, but I’m prepared for the worst. Right now it’s a small paper, so coverage is sparse. I hope everyone understands that.

Anytime you publish a newspaper for mass-distribution it will always be met with praise and negativity. Some will bash it some will like it, it just depends.

Not that I’m against people offering criticism, I just hate it when people say the newspaper sucks when they offer no suggestions on how to improve it. I had that happen a lot at my old school.

People would send us e-mails saying they hated the newspaper and we were “softballing” the administration. Then we’d do full-scale investigations and people would say we were being too hard on the school and we should only publish good, happy news. Sorry guys we’re the press not P.R. we published fair and accurate news.

The reality is we did both, when the school did something good we praised them and when they messed up we would fairly criticize them. That’s the role of a newspaper, at least the way I see it.

People should do the same with us; praise us when we do well and criticize when we don't.

1 comment:

Julia Morton said...

I enjoyed the newspaper, and thanks for the news on printing my poster in it! Good luck!